By Courtney Rosenfeld of Gig Spark
Have you always wanted to be an entrepreneur? There’s no better time to start than right now! Launching a local business is a fantastic way to give back to your community while escaping the rat race and creating a source of passive income for yourself and your family. Of course, getting a business up and running is no simple feat. There are many legal, financial, and operational details to consider as you prepare your business for launch.
Whether you’re launching a freelancing business online or as a retail space in your community, it pays to do everything right from day one. Thankfully, online resources and services like Managing Communications Consulting can help you get your bearings.
Your Startup Checklist
A lot goes into starting a business. Here are just a few of the steps involved and how to tackle them on your own.
- Determine the viability of your business idea by researching the local market for your product or service.
- Figure out how you’re going to fund your new business, whether it’s bootstrapping, business loans, or seeking investors.
- Register your business and apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- To free up your time along the way, consider outsourcing some specialized work — such as email marketing — to professionals.
Establishing Your Business
Taking your product or service to market will require an online storefront like a website or a physical retail space.
- Determine how you’re going to source or manufacture your products.
- Create a website and social media accounts for your business.
- If you’re opening a local business, set up a Google My Business listing so customers can find you when conducting a local search.
Building Your Brand Story
The best way to stand out from all of your competitors is to develop an engaging brand story that resonates with your target audience.
- A great brand story will foster trust in your business, turning indifferent shoppers into loyal customers.
- LinkedIn is an invaluable resource for promoting your brand authentically and positioning yourself as a trusted authority in your industry.
- Just remember to inject some personality into your branded content.
Running a small business is incredibly rewarding, but it’s also a lot of work. You’ll have to find funding, tackle your legal obligations, hire help, establish an online presence, and come up with a marketing strategy to get the word out about your brand. Take advantage of all the resources that are available to you! Business consulting from Managing Communications Consulting can help you establish a strong foundation for your new business. Give us a call to discuss your needs today! 757-513-8633.